Friday, November 30, 2007

SHG Complete

Whew. The SHG procedure is complete.

I was super nervous - M and I walked in, there were more people in the waiting room than normal. It's funny - the waiting room - it's all these anxious couples that give you empathetic looks if you happen to catch their eyes. I wouldn't say there is a theme, it's never older women, older men, young women etc etc - it's always a nice mix which is comforting.

The lab tech asked us back and told me to strip waist down and cover myself with the infamous paper gown. I did so. M and I chatted off an on - mostly M - I was so nervous I kept putting back on my pants and running to the restroom, coming back in, undressing, then putting back on my pants and running to the restroom. It's how I deal with nervousness, my body is trained that way.

Finally, after the third run to the bathroom, I was ready. Lab tech came in and brought us into the ultrasound room and Dr. O came in. He had gotten a haircut. I know it's strange for me to notice such things when I'm about to have a catheter through my cervix, but I thought it made him look nice, younger or something.

He did an excellent job explaining exactly what he was going to do and put me at ease. He made a couple jokes which made it all go smoother as well.

On to the stirrups - I scooted to the edge of the table and in went the speculum. Similar to a pap, this stage didn't phase me (although I hate the feeling of a speculum - it's like a tire jack for your hoo-ha) - up he cranked me - and inserted the very bendable tube into my cervix. There was a slight pinch, but nothing like I'd expected. Taking the speculum out, and leaving the catheter in, he then put in the vaginal ultrasound and up pops my uterus! I'm so fond of my uterus now. I love seeing it on the screen, like a little oven it is, just waiting for baby(ies).

He pushed the saline through and we watched a black puddle forming in my womb. Pretty soon, the saline disappeared and he was surprised it had gone away so quickly. He remarked that my fallopian tubes must be 'very open' for the saline to disappear like that to which I asked "is that a good thing?" It's a very good thing he said. As he was moving the ultrasound wand, he kept remarking how he saw no lesions, no polyps, no blockages, no nothing. He then said he thought the IVF cycle was going to work out "very well".

I had a shit-eating grin on my face. I couldn't help it. Yes! Yes! Yes!

"You've got a great home for your little embryos" he said. Me, I've got a great home!!

He then checked out each ovary to see how many follicles I have growing. The more follicles the better because this is eventually what they will 'harvest' when it comes time. He counted 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - as he kept counting higher my grin got bigger and bigger - 9,10,11,12,13,14,15 - I was ecstatic! Same amount of the right ovary. As quick as it started, it was over and he said he see me on Monday morning for my next procedure, HSG.

I did a little dance in the office when everyone left and high fived M.

Things are looking up, things are definitely looking up.

Next Step:
HSG appointment on Monday.