Thursday, January 31, 2008

CD 16- Fertilization Report

8 of my eggs fertilized!!!!! We officially have 8 embryos growing! Oh my god!!!

The IVF coordinator called and said she had a "wonderful fertilization report" for us and told me that 8 were successfully fertilized. This is such great news. I really was thinking it would only be around 3-5 but this is better than expected.

They said if I have a 3 day transfer, then I would go in at 1:30pm this Saturday. because I'm having acupuncture done before and after, the acupunturist told me to be there at 12:15pm. I get to take a valium-like substance before I go, to calm the woman as much as possible, and I'm bringing my Ipod. Corny, but I think I'll listen to Enya. Or maybe download some Deep Forest. I'm gonna sit there and visualize the embryo falling gently onto my uterine wall and snuggling deep in my womb.

I asked them what the next steps were, and they said they would call me on Saturday to tell me the results of my embryos, how many had passed on, how many were thriving, how many were still hanging in there. Inside I thought, Saturday??? What the hell? You have my eight kids and you're not gonna tell me what's happening with them for another two days? I think not.

So, I told her I'd like more information on the cell division occuring with each of my embryos. I asked if it was possible for someone to call me tomorrow and let me know how many cells each of them had formed. She seemed surprised, but said yes I could call her tomorrow and she would give me that information. I beamed inside. I'm already being a protective parent, you see??

I'm just so thrilled. M is also happy and called himself a "stud". This sounds just about right to me!

More about cell development in a bit.