Saturday, February 2, 2008

CD 18 - We're headed to a 5-day transfer!

I'm so excited and happy.

The embryologist called us at 11am like he said he would.

He had good news. He said six of my embryos are still surviving, including the two duds mentioned earlier. (my little duds, don't pick on my duds!)

He graded them as three perfect Grade A Embryos, 2 Grade B embryos and 1 B- or C.

This is incredible news!!! If it had been only ONE good one, we would have had to transfer today. If it were TWO good embryos, we would have to have decided on 1 or 2 and transferred today. If there were THREE good ones, we would have leaned towards a 5 day transfer, but the risk would be greater.

But we have three SUPERIOR embryos, and one GOOD one!! The doctor asked me the same question that I've heard ever since I decided to do my eSET and that is

"Would you rather have one failed cycle or twins?"

The answer has been (although the past 24 hours I've been wishy washy) that I would rather repeat another fresh IVF cycle, then have a twin pregnancy. And in the grand scheme of things, this is the truth. You know how when you go to a pet store and you see that cute little puppy? And there's nothing more in the world that you would rather do than take that little puppy home and love him and cuddle him?

But you know you already have a no pet policy on your rental, or two other dogs to take care of, and you know you really shouldn't do it. But oh wait, that puppy, look how cute it is and how quickly my needs would get met by taking this puppy home!

And I want nothing more than to get pregnant, and I know one day I will be. But it takes painful restraint not to increase my odds to have my needs immediately satisfied despite an overall undesirable long term outcome.

He said that because we're wanting a singleton, that he would recommend stretching these six to Day 5. He said he thought there would at least be one 5-day to transfer, and that yes it's a gamble, but a pretty decent one considering our results today.

So, we're waiting until Monday to see which one of the embryos is the "winner". If the other couple qualify, we can freeze them for future cycles.

It feels so good to have this decision made. Scary, but good. It was SUCH a relief that all four had survived, and that three were graded as "perfect" on Day 3. Thank god!!!

So now, I wait about 48 hours and then there's no turning back. I'm coming home with a belly full of embryo and ain't anyone stopping me!

Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at the craziness.

Thank you for all of your love and kind words to all of my family and friends.

Here here to educating and advocating for oneself. It can be difficult, but it's so worth it.


Grow little babies, grow.